A Purchase Requisition is a document submitted by an employee to request the purchase of goods or services on behalf of the company. These purchases may be for business operations, inventory, or to manufacture supplies for sale. Submitting a purchase requisition form sets off the purchasing process.
It is important because the purchase requisition process plays a key role in the buying process of an organization. It ensures that fraud is prevented, and organizations get value for their money. This is possible due to the fact that the request must go through a number of approvals to ensure its accuracy and necessity.
For more information on Purchase Requisition and its advantages, read this article.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Step 1. Apply the Purchase Requisition Basic Settings
- Step 2. Create a New Purchase Requisition
- Step 3. Add Items to the Purchase Requisition
- Access Full Information on Purchase Order Items
- Step 4. Enter Additional Information: Notes, Comments, Attachments
- Step 5. Downloading the PR
Step 1. Apply the Purchase Requisition Basic Settings
To learn more about enabling the module and providing users with relevant roles, read this article.
Step 2. Create a new Purchase Requisition
- Open the Purchase Requisition module on the left side menu and click the Create button.
- Fill out the necessary information:
- A Location where your Purchase Requisition should be delivered
- Desired Delivery Date
- Document Custom Fields, if any. For example, the required DCF Departments
- Items Custom Fields, if any. For example, Supplier.
When editing the document and adding the Supplier with the Draft status, you can either choose the existing Supplier from the drop-down list or create a new one by clicking the Add new supplier button.
3. Once done, click the Create button.
Step 3. Add Items to the Purchase Requisition
In Precoro, you can easily add and update items in the PR document:
- Add Item — choose the previously added items from the Catalog.
Find more information on how to work with Catalog items here.
- Add Empty Row — type in the item details manually.
Find more information on how to work with empty rows here.
- Import Items — download items in bulk from external sources.
Find more information on how to import items in PR via Excel by following this link.
- Update Items — update items in bulk using an Excel file without manual work.
Find more information on working with Item Update here.
Also, you can use the functionality to add items directly through Purchase Requisition without having to transfer them to Catalog manually. Find a guide on how to set up and use this function here.
Note that you can enter the negative item values in Purchase Requisition. Please learn how this functionality works here.
You can also Revise the document later and add new items to it with Approved Status together with all the items added in the related Purchase Order.
Please note that the already added to the Purchase Order items will not be available for editing. Also, new items added to the Purchase Requisition will not be transferred to the already existing related Purchase Order.
Quickly Update Prices by Catalog
You can update the current item prices in Purchase Requisition with just one Update prices by catalog button.
To access this function activate the Display prices checkbox in Configuration → Basic Settings → Documents Setup → Purchase Requisitions.
This function is useful when you need to renew outdated prices in old documents or ensure all prices are current.
To use it, follow these steps:
1. Open the Purchase Requisition document and click the Update prices by Catalog button.
2. Check the new price and choose whether you want to accept the changes or not.
3. After your confirmation, the price will be brought up to date.
Access Full Information on Purchase Order Items
A requester can get full information on the Purchase Order Items from the Purchase Requisition. To use this function, the Purchase Requisition should have a related Purchase Order.A requester can get full information on the order and items by clicking the Show Purchase Order button:
You will see the general Order information and complete information on the Items:
Step 4. Enter Additional Information: Notes, Comments, Attachments
- Add Note — specify additional important information in the document such as delivery time details, etc. Note that these details will be displayed in the printed document version.
- Add Comment — conduct all communication on the document with the responsible team in one place.
Tag a user using “@” and type their email address. The tagged person will receive an email notification with your comment in their mailbox and respond to you in the same document.
The information from the Comments field is not printed on the documents and is visible only to the users within your company.
- Add Attachment — upload images and documents or tables as additional materials.
How to Make the Attachments Required
To activate this function, go to Basic Settings → Documents Setup → Purchase Requisition and check the Required File Attachments option. Then, press Save to implement changes.
When the Required File Attachments option is on, users cannot confirm the PR without uploading any documents. However, in case it is deactivated, users can confirm the document without adding any attachments.
Step 5. Downloading the PR
If you wish to download the created document, use two available Download Options to have it in PDF or XLSX formats.
Please note that the download option is available for documents with all statuses, except Draft, Canceled, Pending, and In Revision.
Creating Purchase Orders from Purchase Requisitions
With just one click, you can convert a Purchase Requisition document into a Purchase Order.
To do that, follow the steps below:
1. Click the Create Purchase Order button in the right action panel of the Purchase Requisition document.
The Create Purchase Order button will only appear after the document has been Confirmed or Approved (if you have a set Approval Workflow).
2. Check that all the additional Items/Documents Custom Fields information for the Purchase Order is in place and press Create to proceed.
3. You have a new Purchase Order with all the items added from the Purchase Requisition.
In case your Purchase Requisition has different Suppliers, the system will give you the ability to select each Supplier in turn and create separate Purchase Orders:
In case you did not select any Suppliers in the Purchase Requisition document, the system will prompt you to choose one: